AsiaIndiaShimla

Simla, Shimla....

Shimla Travel Blog

View of Simla from train Station

Arrived in Simla from the overnight bus trip from Manali at 6.30am - grumpy, tired. Was one of my least favourite bus journeys, there were so many bumps in the road I kept flying off my seat for most of it!

To add to the stress Shirley and I were determined to find a reasonable hotel, but got chased by the porters from the train station for 3 hours. Every hotel we approached, they ran in first to claim their "commission", it was impossible. Even the police just laughed at us. I was realy narked, and at the point of my blood starting to boil, not matter how much we asked them to go away, and even offered to pay them to go away, they would not leave us alone.. grrrrr.

Finally had to agree to a hotel they chose, paid 150 rupees a night after a huge argument.

Simla town center
. then after a nap got on with the nice things in life. Simla is a very beautiful place to visit. My advice? Just give your luggage to the porters and get a hotel as close as possible for about 200-300 a night. The hills are steep, and there are no rickshaws as it is a hill station.

We explored a lot of streets, it is nice there, was only 28 degrees so a nice break from the heat also. Did lots of shopping, beware of the monkeys though! I got jumped by a monkey after my open box of fruit! :). Lots of fab places to eat, it's a bit like Brighton, full of native tourists!  Decided to leave tomorrow, so booked the toy train to Kalka leaving Sunday, then transfer at Kalka to Delhi.

Train journey from Simla to Kalka was full of fab sites and views, but quite hot and dusty, and it takes 12 hours total from Simla through to Delhi. Crashed in Parharganj in Delhi - again room was 150 rupees a night with AC - it's 29th April and it is hot hot hot!!

Simla