Day trip!

Nimes Travel Blog

The Pont du Gard (from left: Danielle, Jordan, Jason, me)

Today myself, Dr.Bell (the program director), and 5 other uga students went to Nimes and the Pont du Gard.

We took an early train out of Montpellier and rode for about half an hour to Nimes, an old town in the same deparment (french "departments" are comparable to our counties in the states) as Montpellier - Languedoc-Roussillon. There is this amazing old Roman arena in Nimes, that is the second biggest after the Collesium in Rome, and the best preserved! Audio guides were included with our entrance to the arena, so I learned lots of interesting things. For instance, did you know that the word "arena" is the latin word for "sand"...thus, "arena" is a reference to the sand that creates the floor of the arena itself, that was there to soak up the blood of the gladiators and Christians who were executed?

The Pont du Gard is an old Roman aqueduct built c.

Pont du Gard
20 CE...dates back to the time of Christ!!! How cool is that? It is an impressive sight to behold as well. Not to mention the perfection of the engineering that staggers the modern mind! It was built to transfer water from the Eure springs near Uzes to Nimes, and slopes down (from Uzes to Nimes) at a constant rate of 0.25cm/km (or something close to that - dont remember the exact number, sorry!)...either way, quite astounding. I'll try to post pictures from it soon.

Tomorrow, we are going to "la plage" (the beach). Oh, and the verdict on the beaches here? OK. Not the gulf. But let's just be honest, there's nothing like the gulf.

The Pont du Gard (from left: Danie…
The Pont du Gard (from left: Dani…
Nimes