On South African soil

Johannesburg Travel Blog

Rocky Bay beach

Our flight with Nationwide from Gatwick to Joburg was relatively forgettable - the low point was the delay at Gatwick as we turned back from the runway to offload someone's bag and the high point was the dessert trolley - the first ever flight I can remember with one so I went for the trifle, although Granny H certainly wouldn't have approved of the lack of sherry and lashings of jelly! The film was unwatchable as the budget airline did not stretch to personalised screens so I tried to doze as best I could after a couple of glasses of South African red!

At 9am we landed in Joburg, where we had a dull couple of hours passing through immigration and the baggage hall, before moving to the domestic terminal where we caught our flight to Durban. After a bumpy landing (strong winds) we had a bit of faffing to collect our hire car (gold Nissan tilda) from the airport, but eventually got on the road south which was surprisingly easy and we found our first port of call without getting lost.

We were staying at Rocky Bay, about 50km south of Durban. Our log cabin had a sea view and was just staggering distance from the dive shop and pub/restaurant. So as we downed an ice cold beer watching  the sunset, we felt it was worth the long journey!

arlene0725 says:
I can't wait to see the photos. My dream is to do another safari, preferably in South Africa. happy travels, Arlene
Posted on: Nov 15, 2007