The Shaftos

Port Elizabeth Travel Blog

Baby drinking

So having left the game park, we did a quick detour back to St Lucia to collect my mobile phone which I had accidentally left behind. Those who know me well won't be surprised by this, but I was very lucky that it had been looked after for me.

Our next stop was the Durban branch of the Shafto family, where we enjoyed visiting their house which is on a golf course. Fortunately golf balls don't fly over the fence too often, but they do have other visitors to their garden - vervet monkeys and impala. Sue Shafto took us for a tour of the estate in the golf buggy, which we enjoyed and she enjoyed pointing out the wildlife along the way.

Yet another early start as our flight left very early the next morning for Port Elizabeth.

Jackal hiding
We had no problems returning the first car in Durban with 1500km on the clock, but the orginal Nissan Tiida we were given in PE had no aircon, so we quickly complained and eventually drove off in a Mazda 3.

We bypassed the PE Shaftos and headed straight to the Addo elephant park. This was much smaller than Imfolozi-H (I still can't spell it!) but had a large concentration of game, especially, of course, elephants!!! We checked in to our rest hut which surprised us by being much nicer than the last one - it even had an ensuite bathroom with hot shower. It was a log cabin with a shared kitchen. However, we decided not to use the kitchen and instead try out the Park's restaurant.

We set off into the park at the wrong time of day (mid-afternoon) so we drove round for a few hours without seeing too much initially.

Look at my warts!
But we were rewarded with yet more warthog, zebra, red hartebeast and kudu as well as a black-backed jackal. We were disappointed to only see the odd glimpse of elephant, however.

We had to be out at sunset so it was back to the hut, but the next day we got up early and were rewarded by seeing a whole herd of 25 elephant come down to a waterhole to drink. The bull elephant was the last one in.  We also saw a warthog head in the middle of the road but could not track the culprit - lion or leopard?

After leaving the park by our check-out time of 10am, we got to Mike & Imelda's for lunch. They lived right opposite the cricket ground so Tom was disappointed there was no match on - we timed it badly for SA vs NZ who were playing there the following week.

Port Elizabeth