Hyde Park

London Travel Blog

Italian Garden and Fountains

Today was another busy day - as all of my London days were so there's not surprise here.

We went to Hyde Park.  For those of you unfamiliar (as I was) this park contains the grounds of Kensington Palace where the late Diana of Wales resided.  More on that later.

It's a cold day but Hyde Park is near the tube so we decide to make an afternoon of it; besides, the exercise will be good as well as getting some fresh air.  The park has some beautiful lakes.  We walk around them following a walking tour that was in the Lonely Planet guide that I bought for London.  We see some great fountains, a Peter Pan statue, the round lake, and a glorious statue of Queen Elizabeth right outside of Kensington Palace.  I must make a side note here:  The dogs are amazing.

Queen Elizabeth Statue and Kensington Palace
  I have yet to see one on a leash and they are all so well behaved, following their master like I've never seen before in my life.  It is quite true that British mannerisms are quite proper and to see it in the dogs is just unreal.  I smile to myself everytime I see a dog prancing about.

Now back to Hyde Park.  We decide to take a tour of Kensington Palace and it seems unreal to me to be walking about a building in which so many royalties before have passed.  It's beautiful inside and, although modernized a bit, you can still see the massive amounts of history within its walls.  There is also a photo exhibit on display featuring some rare shots of the late Princess Diana along with some of her gowns she auctioned off for charity.

Royal Albert Hall
  I remember how my mother used to follow the monarchy when Princess Diana was alive.  There were some truly beautiful pictures displayed and I am glad that I had the opportunity to view them.

After we leave the palace we walk around the park a bit more and the Albert Memorial as well as the Royal Albert Hall.  We take a few pics and head back into the park where you see people rollerblading, walking their dogs, riding bicycles, etc.  We also go to see the Wellington Arch along with some War Memorials and last but not least the ever so talked about Queen Elizabeth Gates.

We've been out for a few hours now and are thoroughly cold so we decide to head back home and enjoy the rest of the evening eating American style Chinese food (which I only get once a year when I go back home because they don't serve it in Bangkok so it's a real treat) and just hang out like we used to when we were roommates.

Citril says:
Oh I loved Hyde Park! We had a wonderful picinc there and sat watching the world pass by whilst listening to a band! Love your pics!
Posted on: Jun 21, 2006
Italian Garden and Fountains
Queen Elizabeth Statue and Kensing…
Queen Elizabeth Statue and Kensin…
Albert Memorial