To eastern Thailand

Bangkok Travel Blog

I had four hours to wait for the flight to Bangkok and spent the time drinking a couple of cups of $3 coffee and pacing between the two smoking rooms. The Bangkok flight used to make a brief stop in Hong Kong but this one went direct in just under four hours, arriving at noon.

After clearing immigration, I changed $100 for 3,323 Thai Bhat and took a taxi to the nearby bus station. [I later learned that there is a free shuttle from the airport to that bus station.] By one o'clock I was on the road to Trat, in eastern Thailand - not far from the Cambodian border. Had I not been a 'Carry-on' I would have had to wait four hours for the next bus.

Normally I would spend a night in Trat then catch a boat in the morning to Koh Chang Island but it was only 6:00 p.m. so I continued. By 8:00 p.m., I reached Siam Huts on Lonely Beach (Tha Nam Beach which is on Bai Lan Bay on the Southwest corner of the island)… about thirty-one hours after entering the airport in Los Angeles.

I was shocked to see the 'Full' sign but the family running the place know me and quickly arranged a waterfront bungalow while I enjoyed a Lao beer and grilled barracuda. The listed price of 400 Bhat also drew concern but, being a 'regular', I was given a rate of 250 Bhat per night. Thai people are fantastic; very generous and helpful to loyal customers.

sidd_srb says:
I am trying to find out more about thailand,Nice blog about Journey to Eastern Thailand
Posted on: Oct 02, 2010