Southwest Airlines

Los Angeles Travel Blog

By 8:00 a.m., I left my step-sister's home in Hinsdale for the short drive to Chicago's Midway Airport. I returned the  Grand Am and checked in for the 11:15 Southwest Airline flight to Los Angeles. I always liked Southwest. They slashed their operating costs by using just one type of aircraft, the Boeing 737 series, and like other airlines by eliminating most services including seat assignment. Unlike other airlines, Southwest passed those savings on to the traveler. My one-way ticket was just $109.

I was given a Group C boarding pass which boarded after the A and B groups. Certain to be stuck in a middle seat didn't bother me since the flight was less than four hours long. I found one near the front of the plane ensuring a faster exit upon landing.

At LAX, I boarded a shuttle bus to the Budget Car Rental office. Being in L.A. for five days without a car would be like being on a sailboat without wind. An economy car (a low-end Ford Taurus) cost about $50 per day. Having grown up around the L.A. Airport area from the second grade through high school, it was nice to be back on familiar streets. I went to a cousin's place in Torrance.

bkretzer says:
I laughed when I read about you not minding be stuck in a middle seat as it was only a four hour flight. That certainly speaks volumns about both your attitude and the distances you had to travel in the air. My longesd flight, which all have been domestic has only been about four hours!
Posted on: Apr 04, 2008