Pattaya Revisited

Pattaya Travel Blog

Instead of riding a six hour bus from Ko Chang and Trat to the airport in Bangkok prior to the long flight home, I decided to make a move to Pattaya which would put me less than two hours from the China Airlines check-in counter. I had been to Pattaya once before - in 1976 - and didn’t really care for the place as even back then it had already built up to cater to tourists and high-dollar travelers. It was okay to experience once, even recommended for a few days with its thriving nightlife, jet skies, and parachute tows behind speeding motorboats, but once was enough. Until now, I never had a desire to go back.

An Austrian that I met on Ko Chang had recommended the German-run Palm Garden Hotel in Pattaya so I checked into a nice air conditioned room there for 890 Bhat ($27). The place was just two blocks from the beach and close to fine eateries and vibrant nightlife. At a night-time street-market just across the street, I bought three new t-shirts and a pair of cheaply-made imitation cargo pants. I examined a pair of the plastic shoes which resembled recycled whiffle balls but they were just too awkward. Not that I planned to do any moon walking across some dance floor or anything, it was just impossible to step backwards in them. Ordinary flip-flops cling to the feet better so I would wear those on the flight home and find a pair of regular shoes somewhere in my own country.

I abandoned all of the Salvation Army Thrift Store clothing that I purchased for this trip last October to make room in my daypack for a large tapestry from Cambodia, another hammock from Ko Chang, and the three new t-shirts. My return to the States would be, like coming over, as a 'carry-on'

Pattaya