AsiaTaiwanTaipei

Outbound

Taipei Travel Blog

After a final beer at O'Hearns Pub in Redondo Beach, I drove to the Budget rental car return near LAX. I boarded their shuttle to the airport and when I told the driver "China Airlines" a middle-aged business man gasped. "Wow, where are you going," he asked. I told him to Southeast Asia for the winter and he pointed at the gray daypack and said "with just that?!"  That comment certainly made my day. The rewards of being a 'Carry-On' guy were already kicking in before even reaching the airport.

I purchased the round-trip China Airline ticket on-line from Orbitz.com back in April for $890 - about half the cost of traveling with a U.S air carrier. The current print-out stated 11:15 p.m. November 1st but the flight leaves at 12:10 a.m. So actually I missed my flight! When the agent requested $125 for the flight-change, I pointed out my print-out and she promptly dropped the charge and issued me an aisle seat which I requested.

The long line through security went rather quickly. The flight had numerous empty seats including the middle one between myself and an orange-robed Thai monk.  The flight to Taipei, Taiwan, was normally twelve hours but headwinds made it last for 13.5. The long flights are one of my primary reasons for staying overseas for 4-6 months. I managed to doze for a good part of this one. Daylight began to break as we landed in Taipei at 5:30 a.m. local time.

scubagirl76 says:
good info to know, I always figured when I finally traveled to Asia I would be using American airline. thanks for that advice :)
Posted on: Dec 10, 2007