JC's Bar and the Funky Munky

Siem Reap Travel Blog

Some of the JC crew

What does the Funky Munky Bar and Diner in Siem Reap, Cambodia, and JC's Bar in Gladstone, Michigan, have in common? Well, me. JC's is my home bar in Gladstone and I sometimes sleep behind the place in my VW camper. After three or four beers it is risky to drive, especially after midnight. Most traffic on the roads after that hour is coming from taverns and the unusually large number of police in the small town know it. With my place five miles out in the country, it is wise on the later nights to camp at JC's.

Cathy, the 'C' in JC's, collects pig stuff. Every nook and cranny of the bar that does not hold one of their pool or dart league trophies contains a variety of pig memorabilia.

The Funky Munky
Included in the collection are photographs from their annual Porkicide. Each August the bar closes and at a camp in the woods on nearby Stonington Peninsula, regulars, friends, and families party for an entire weekend. Actual roasted pig parts with all the fixings and iced kegs of beer are downed during the days while bonfires and live music stir the nights. The event is free, a customer appreciation celebration paid for by donations over the previous year at the bar. In appreciation for JC's hospitality and generosity, during my travels I keep an eye out for easy to carry pig stuff.

Last January, I found myself at the Funky Munky here in Siem Reap. Expats from Ireland and England, Trixie and Mac, ran the place and earned the Munky the coveted Siem Reap 2006 Bar of the Year Award. The place is decorated with posters and nostalgic memorabilia of movies, music, comic book covers, sculpted creations of scrap-metal monsters and Harley Davidsons, and a few teddy-bear monkeys.

Funky Monkeys at the Munky
One poster circulating around Siem Reap at the time announced an upcoming art festival which coincided with the Chinese New Year (Year of the Pig.) It caught my eye and Trixie managed to get me a copy of it. The poster showed an artistic pig in flight and I knew it would make a fine contribution to JC's collection. Trixie inscribed the poster "To JC's Bar, Pigs can fly! From the Funky Munky crew, Cambodia." Upon returning to Gladstone, I presented the prize find to JC's and Jim and Cathy promptly framed the poster and made room on the wall behind the bar.

On this passage through Siem Reap, I brought a photo of some of the JC crew in front of the bar holding the poster. Trixie was thrilled to have a newly proclaimed 'sister bar' and is framing the photo for display at the Munky. The next Chinese calendar year will be the Year of the Rat and I may have to find a new bar.

Sunflower300 says:
I second what Daniel says. Put me down for a copy. :)
Posted on: Feb 25, 2008
danielrice20 says:
If you wrote a book, I'd buy it.
Posted on: Feb 24, 2008
sylviandavid says:
This is a fun story/review. Thanks for sharing it.
Posted on: Dec 29, 2007
Funky Monkeys at the Munky
Thurseday Quiz Night at the Funk…
Thurseday 'Quiz Night' at the Fun…
Porkicide 2005