Nha Trang Travel Blog

The Dam Market

My time to depart was rapidly approaching and I still needed to replace the shoulder bag that was stolen  last month - the bag I had used since 1980 from Nairobi, Kenya. Loss of the bag seemed worse than the loss of its contents -like the loss of a trusty companion. It had seen the world several times over.

But most of all, I put off replacing the bag because I dread the noisy, bustling, hustling crowds of main markets. When I finally entered Nha Trang's,  I was pleasantly surprised. The Dam (Vietnamese word for swamp) Market seemed more like a circular shopping mall in the western world.

The fruit, vegetable, fish, and meat venders all had their stalls along the outside perimeter of the Dam Market.

Inside mural of Tran Phu Boulevard
Inside, most of the clothing, textiles, and tailors rimmed the second floor and overlooked the downstairs layout. Tiled aisles spoking outward from the center were lined with well-organized stalls and brightly lit displays of anything and everything one would expect from household items to fine jewelry. Groceries, appliances, hardware, souvenirs, and motorbike parts were all concentrated in their own 'departments'. I spotted several stalls of luggage and made my descent.

I checked out the shoulder bags of four venders inside the market and two outside. I finally selected a copy of a Diesel-brand bag, not for its name but its soft heavy material, compact size, and numerous zippered pockets inside and out. For $4, I was content with the purchase and next year when I come back to Nha Trang, will know where to do my shopping.

Souvenir venders
Souvenir venders
Fruits and veggies bordered the ou…
Fruits and veggies bordered the o…
Colorful fruits