Los Angeles Travel Blog

I always envied the world traveler who cleared immigration and stepped directly into a new world while the rest of us raced to the baggage claim to wait and wonder. Being familiar with where I am going, this trip will be my big chance to become a globetrotting carry-on guy too.

A Salvation Army Thrift Store in Lawndale had the winter wardrobe that I still lacked: a couple of 'fresh' Hawaiian-type shirts; a pair of dark blue swim trunks with 'L.A. County Junior Lifeguard' printed in white letters on the left leg; a pair of short pants which neither drapes my shins nor has a crotch below the knees; and a pair of blue lightweight cargo pants with plenty of pockets. I won't need their removable zippered legs, but the cinching waist and ankles will prove practical. As for the slightly large short pants, I can cinch those up with a colorful cloth tie-belt that I'll shop for in Asia when I begin to lose weight.

A nearby Dollar-Tree store provided spare reading glasses -- 3-powers to read with and 1.5-powers to see clearly beyond a distance of five feet. Having no insurance, I cannot justify paying hundreds of dollars for glasses that I can pick off the shelf for a dollar a pair. If I could just find those two powers with the same frames, I would swap a couple of lenses and be able to use one eye to read with and the other for distance. That would enable me to shoot pool again but there would probably be a risk of going cross-eyed.

I was finally ready to pack the North Face daypack that I had purchased last January in Siem Reap, Cambodia, when I needed an inconspicuous way to carry my laptop across town to a wireless internet connection. The gray Chinese-made copy worked perfectly and on this trip would carry not only the laptop but all of my meager possessions. I would leave my backpack and laptop case in Torrance for the winter.

cmgervais says:
I am going RTW with carry-on :^) Yes, it's the way to go!
Posted on: May 27, 2008
vulindlela says:
Nice blog!
I am one of those "carry-on" only guys.
Posted on: Jan 29, 2008
scubagirl76 says:
I love thrift store shopping :)
Posted on: Dec 10, 2007