Back to Sihanoukville

Sihanoukville Travel Blog

Phnom Penh bus station

I found a bus to Sihanoukville for $7 and the five hour ride arrived around two o'clock in the afternoon. An orange-robed monk 'riding shot-gun' in front of the bus ensured a safe passage. The temperature was hot and skies hazy when I checked into the Freedom Hotel, just across the street from the bus terminal. With my laptop disabled, I was bummed out to learn that the Freedom Hotel now offers wireless internet access in each room. The spacious $7 room also included a refrigerator and a cable television with remote control. Channels in English included CNN, BBC News, and the AXN movie channel. The Russian RT and German DW channels also broadcast informative programs in English but most often I watched the National Geographic and Discovery channels. At home in Michigan, I avoid television altogether.

Displaced merchants

By late afternoon I walked to the Te Lee Hong restaurant. The streets leading there were lined with merchants - displaced by a fire that burned the entire old market to the ground sometime in January. Though I had walked through that market many times, I hadn't realized how massive the old place was. An entire city block was now leveled and workers were constructing metal framework in six block-long spans that will cover a new central market. Meanwhile, merchants sold their wares street-side. Arson was rumored responsible for the blaze.

I met up with expat friends who frequent the Te Lee Hong for fifty-cent Angkor beers. Most spend six to seven months in Sihanoukville then go home to Germany to work during the summer months. They enjoy reduced monthly rates at already inexpensive guesthouses and either own or rent motorbikes. Motorbikes can be rented for about $90 per month. A Cambodian drivers license (recommended) cost $40 and is good for one year.

Sihanoukville bus terminal