Back in Paradise

Ko Chang Travel Blog

New hut replacing an old one

After the long trip, I was too fired up to sleep and made my way to several of my favorite bars to enjoy a few Chang beers with old friends; both locals and foreigners who either remained the entire year or come back each season. I woke with a smile to the sound of small waves lapping the shore just twenty yards from my crude hut.

I was stunned to see the many changes that had taken place in just the seven months since my last stay. Many of the low-budget huts further down the beach were gone and in their place; high dollar resorts. Of the two popular party spots, Nature Rocks has toned way down by complaints of noise from a neighboring resort; the other, Sweet Zone, closed altogether. Once known for being the 'Party Beach', Lonely Beach seems to be going the way of the popular islands of southern Thailand where cheap bungalows had been replaced by expensive resorts and condominiums.

Siam Hut's expanded deck at sunset
I saw that happen on Ko Samui, Thailand's finest, after the airport had been constructed and now it was happening here too.

I am glad to see that Siam Huts opted to keep the backpacker atmosphere by rebuilding all of their existing huts.  That work is still in progress and should be completed by the beginning of the season - December 1st. Siam Huts also completed a nice expansion of their 'chill-out' deck which is a popular gathering spot for spectacular sunsets. Ko Chang has several somewhat-low-budget years remaining, but last winter I began exploring further east into Cambodia and Vietnam.

I only intended to spend an hour in the sun on the first day but it quickly became two and I slightly burned. But I don't mind, it is great to be back in paradise and time is on my side.

New hut replacing an old one
Siam Huts expanded deck at sunset
Siam Hut's expanded deck at sunset