The Angkor Brewery

Sihanoukville Travel Blog

Transport to the brewery

Each Wednesday afternoon the Angkor Brewery offers free beer. With my pocket watch up and running, I was able to meet up with a group heading out there from the Finlandia, a Scandinavian bar and restaurant on Ekareach Street, downtown.

Around 2:30, a small group gathered at the bar where Billy the bartender arranged an appropriate number of tuk-tuks  to transport us to the brewery which was several miles outside of town. I rode in one of the four-seat motorbike trailers along with a heavy-set Swedish couple and a retired Finnish sea captain. The 150cc motorbike strained at slow speed to climb one long hill leading to the brewery where a few other groups had gathered just outside the main entrance.

At precisely three o'clock, guards swung open the chain-link gate and we all bee-lined into a nearby building.

The beer hall
A wide spiral stairway led us to the spacious beer hall.

One end-wall contained shelves displaying bottles and cans of Angkor and several other beers and soft drinks which the brewery bottles, both present and past. Four long picnic-type tables, end-to-end in two rows,  and benches filled the long and narrow hall.  Another wall was decorated with past advertisements, awards, certificates, and news stories dating back to the brewery's origins in the early 1960's. Windows overlooked several of the buildings where workers hustled to and fro while trucks and fork-lifts scurried about. The far end of the hall had a short bar where three Angkor girls poured fresh mugs and pitchers.

There was no gift shop as at western breweries or tours. However, shirts and hats were for sale; red with Anchor Beer embroidered on them - Angkor in white letters and Beer, smaller, in black. I bought both for $5. Friends and toasts were made as pitchers of beer kept arriving at the tables. By five o'clock the bar closed and we all went back to the Finlandia.

worldcitizen says:
Hey we were in Sihanoukville at the same time! I think I was there from March 6-8! Too bad, you seem like you know a lot about Sihanoukville, while the people in my group were afraid to leave the hotel!
Posted on: Apr 30, 2008