(Blog 4) Cleaning things up?

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Last week while doing the group blog on the papermill situat8ion with Uruguay, I started to thik about the actual envionmental concern of Argentines. Things like is there really a concern for the environment or is the environment issue with Uruguay just an attempt to unify the country. Keeping this in mind, i made a trip this past Thursday to El Tigre. As I was there I noticed extremely polluted waters. Trash oil, old rusty boats, and everything else that is not supposed to be in the water were all there. The thing that really caught me off guard was the fact that this is a place to get away from the city, and it was that dirty.

I started to think about the poolution situation and came up with my own idea of the pollution scenario within Argentina. I think that most Argentines have given up and think that it is too late to clean the water. This attitude was particularly noticable when taking a tour during one of our classs on wheels sessions. As we rode by the severely polluted water on the Southern edge of the city Gabriel said, "Cows will fly before the port would be cleaned." Last weekend I traveled to Mendoza and I noticed a clean and pollution free environment. This observation led me to believe that the pollution problem is only a problem for the eastern part of the country. I found a map diagram online that confirms my theory. It shows the eastern part of the country to have the biggest pollution risk, and it can be found at http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/AtmCorros/mapArgentina.htm.

The lack of environmental concern however may soon improve. An article wirtten on May 8, 2006 reveals the first steps of a possible movement. The article is at http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=33156. It goes on to say that with the recent pulpmill debate with Uruguay some concern for the envronment is being displayed by the country. The article talks about the citizens of El Tigre who have been protesting about the pollution for 20 years and are finally being heard. I believe this is good for the Argentine nation. Although I side with Uruguay on the pulpmill issue, I feel that Argentina and its enviornment will greatly benifit from this newly found concern over pollution. Hopefully, Argentina will start to clean things up.