Playa Flamenco, etc.

Culebra Travel Blog

Ferry Terminal on Culebra (Dewey, the downtown)

Woke up very early to catch the ferry from Fajardo to Culebra.  The breakfast served by the B&B of french toast, fresh fruit, oatmeal, coffee and juice provided the engery boost to kick start the early day.  With perfect directions, we made it to the ferry terminal about 8:30, a half an hour before the scheduled depart time.  This gave us a chance to buy r/t tickets and find parking at a leisurely pace.  Now, there is street parking, but again, we decied to park in a lot for 5 dollars all day due to the fact that the "ticket lady" advised against it.  The parking turned out to be a hair over at $5.

Playa Flemenco
35, so I guess it was taxed.

The ferry departed a few minutes past 9 and we were on our way to Culebra, via a surprisngly steady journey.

We exited the ferry and were immediatly greeted with multiple drivers holding signs that read "Playa Flemenco $2/pp".  We ended up riding with the oldest man on the planet, but found our way briskly and safely to Playa Flamenco a little past 10:30 in the morning.  The beach was basically empty aside from the twenty or so people who exited the vans at about the same time as us.

We decided to scour the beach for the perfect spot, and in doing so ended up tracking the entire cove.  My bag was dropped, and I immediatly headed for the crystal clear water.  Throughout the morning, I spent the majority of the time in the water, but also managed to run the length of the beach, and also find my inner nerd by looking for "cool" shells and/or rocks.

(I found one).

Now most of the native folks from Puerto Rico had brought coolers filled with food, snacks, and beers.  This had not crossed our minds, so when it came time to eat, the choices were to limited to taking a transport back to town, catching something ourselves, or choosing to eat at the lone stand at the beach.  We opted for the third choice, and were greeted by a satisfying lunch of pinchos, planatains, rice, and beans.  There are also a variety of other dishes available, plus water and virgin pina coladas and other fruit smoothie type drinks.

The next few hours were spent laying out or swimming.  I wish I had brought snorkeling equipment, but I was under the assumption that there would be equipment to rent.  Maybe during other busier times, but not in mid-October.  We decided to head back to the downtown ferry area a couple hours prior to our 5:00 departure time, mainly because I was getting burnt.  Not much to our surprise, most stores and restaurants were closed.  We stumbled into a gift shop, inquired where to get a drink, and were directed to the Dingy Bar, one of the few establishments open.  After a few rum and cokes ($2.50 ea. during happy hour), we headed back to the ferry for our return to Fajardo.

eglp says:
To me that is one of the best beaches in Puerto Rico.
Posted on: Dec 13, 2007
Ferry Terminal on Culebra (Dewey, …
Ferry Terminal on Culebra (Dewey,…
Some rocks on...Playa Flamenco