Arriving in San Juan

San Juan Travel Blog

Street in Old San Juan

I found 2 r/t tickets from Newark to San Juan for $423, so decided to take off 2 days of work and head to Puerto Rico for a long weekend.

Landed in San Juan and quickly grabbed our luggage and headed to Alamo Rent-A-Car, which I reserved in advance.  The airport is really close to Condando, where we were staying, so we were checked in, showered, dressed, and ready to go in no time.  We waited for about a half an hour for the bus to Old San Juan, which was 75 cents, when that didn't arrive in that amount of time, we decided to take a cab, which cost about 12 dollars.  Definitly did that economically.

We decided to have dinner at La Mallorquina because of its "old world charm".  It is said by some to be the oldest restaurant in San Juan and serves traditional Puerto Rican dishes, such as Asopao, Arroz con Pollo, Mofongo, etc.  I'm sure many restaurants lay claim to this, but I didn't eat at any of them.

The remainder of the evening was spent meandering through the narrow, hilly streets of Old San Juan, particularly Calle San Sabastian, which was home to many bars, restaurants, and nightlife happenings.  Due to the short amount of time to be spent on the island, the night concluded rather quickly to save energy for the upcoming days.

Street in Old San Juan
The Restaurant (name camouflaged)
The Restaurant (name camouflaged)
San Juan