Waking up in Bamako

Bamako Travel Blog

Though our accommodations were simple - a bamboo cot in a room separate from the main house - it was nice to sleep in a 'bed' instead of on a bench and bus seat like the night before. As my bunkmate and travel companion Robin slept, I awoke with the sounds of morning chores and the kids getting readied to go to school.  I came out to see the activity of the girls of the house sweeping, doing dishes and other daily chores. Jeremy and company were all up having coffee and bread. I joined them with my own piece of bread and my new favorite accompaniment to it, the spreadable cheese that comes in little individually foil-wrapped wedges in a round cardboard box. We sat talking until it was time for Jeremy to take the boys to school.  So, as is common there, Jeremy starts up the moped and both boys climb on, Isaiah, the oldest, on the back and Abdoulaye on the front.  Out the gate they went and were off to school.  Jeremy's wife Tewah, her niece Fatu and I then took a walk to the market to get the day's food. We were going to be having a chicken dish that night and needed to get the vegetables first. Later, a trip to the grand market ('grande marche' as they call it) would be in order to pick out a live chicken.

Stay tuned....