tampere

Tampere Travel Blog

my sweet bed.
i arrived in tampere in the early evening - i was planning on sleeping in the airport. unfortunately, as i soon found out, the airport consists of two terminals in separate buildings, one for ryanair, and one for all other flights. both of them close overnight for a few hours.

nevertheless, i didnt have anywhere else to sleep, so i stuck around. i must have been in the main terminal for nearly 5 hours before i saw a single person. it was entirely deserted, the doors were open, the lights were on, but there was no one there. not even staff. all of the counters/shops were closed.  luckily i found a kiosk where you are supposed to be able to check flight times which wasnt very secure and i was able to finagle a work around to give me free internet for the night.
my internet cafe.
i dont know what i would have done without it, because it was pretty damn boring.

finally people started showing up around 11pm when a flight arrived - this didnt last long and it got really quiet again, with only one staff guy that i would see from time to time. i decided to give it a go, so i laid down behind the internet kiosk in what i thought was a good spot and tried to get some sleep. he woke me up about 30minutes later saying that i had to leave and that the airport was closing.

i told him i had no where else to go and that id sleep outside. he said that it was way too cold but that he would drop me off at the 24 hour gas station 4km away or so.. which i declined, as i had an early morning flight and theres no way i was walking back for that. he asked for my passport, photocopied it, and let me stay in the terminal by myself.

it was really weird to be there by myself the whole night. i found a few benches which i thought would be good to sleep on, and luckily they werent attached to the ground so i pulled two together locked my bag and went to bed.

i woke up about 30minutes before my flight to sweden, surrounded by finnish folks staring at the guy sleeping in the middle of the airport. i did get a pretty good nights sleep though.
Tampere