Berlin Travel Blog› entry 22 of 37 › view all entries
due to my lack of planning - actually its really not my fault this time. i tried to book a spot on the night train from zurich to berlin while i was in la spezia, genova, and milano, and none of them were able to help me out - the train wasnt full, they just couldnt book it for some reason. in anycase, i ended up just getting in this morning to berlin from zurich via dresden.
i have been in berlin for nearly a week now staying at citystay mitte. its in the heart of what was east berlin right next to alexanderplatz. berlin has been quite relaxing, and i found a beach volleyball court in alexanderplatz while going to get groceries so i have been seeings sights in the first half of the day, and then playing volleyball until 9pm or so.
i have done/gone to:
- bike tour - was fantastic, 4 hours, lots of history, berlin is very flat so easy easy riding.
- pergamon museum - pergamon altar, ishtar gates from babylon - the altar was amazing, more impressive than the gates.
- love parade (its own entry).
- topography of terror - free outdoor exhibition on the gestapo/ss headquarters, pretty good.
- checkpoint charlie museum - gets my vote for most unorganized museum in the world. very good material, impossible to follow logically, even with the audio guide.
- east side gallery - longest surviving portion of the wall, taken over by graffiti artists.. some fantastic murals.
once i get somewhere i can use usb, ill fill all these posts in with pictures.