Trek to Tambacounda

Tambacounda Travel Blog

We set off from the house in Dakar at just a bit before midnight on the 16th to find a taxi to take us to the bus station where we'd be embarking to Tambacounda. After two taxis arrived to take the three of us and all our luggage along with our send-off party, we loaded up and were on our way.  Jesse and Pape M'Baye were in one taxi with our luggage and Matt and I were with Aida in another taxi.  In just two days, I'd fallen absolutely in love with this lady and her family.  Never before had I met such a gracious woman who so willingly allowed virtual strangers into her home and treated us like royalty.  She is truly a queen in my eyes.  So it was only somewhat surprising when as we headed down the road to the station, I had another 'female moment' and tears welled up in my eyes.  Before I could even go for a hankie, I was full-on bawling, albeit silently, and couldn't stop myself.  I was so excited to head to the next destination and at the same time did not want to leave these people.  I think subconsciously I was realizing how long it would probably be before I'd ever see them again. Afterall, I'd only just met them and two days was just too short when I'd have liked to spent more time getting to know them.

Stay tuned for the long, hairy journey....

Tambacounda