Follow the steps of Empress Elisabeth...

Vienna Travel Blog

It was a beautiful Summer day when I started my sight seeing tour through Vienna. I was so excited to finally explore the city I have heard so much about. When I was little I used to watch the "Sissi" movies. It's the story about the life of Empress Elisabeth and the members of the imperial family. From her cheerful childhood in Bavaria to finding the love of her life, Emperor Franz Josef,  and to her misery after becoming an Empress and  having to behave according to her rank.

But she played none of the roles assigned to her by traditions and her surroundings, not the role of loving and devoted wife, not the role of principal figurehead in a gigantic empire. She insisted on her rights as an individual - and she prevailed.
However, at the end she seemed an alien outsider at the court of Vienna, an irritant to the court society living by the traditional rules.

I was so curious to see the court, the place where she used to live, the bed she slept in, the winter garden where she had breakfast, and everything else that was surrounding her life. Wow it sounds almost like stalking.  But I was just keen to get to know this person better, to understand what she had been through. And there's no better place than Vienna to find that out.

I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside Schloss Schönbrun and the Hofburg, but I can tell you it was amazing. Such pomp and extravagance I've never seen before. Just lies and deception! Because behind the walls of the court a sad life of depression and considerable strain was taking place every single day.

hdichter says:
I'm so jealous... Franz Josef is my lieblingskaiser!!
Posted on: Oct 25, 2007
tm16dana says:
Hope you enjoyed Wien as much as I did. Sehr schon stadt!
Posted on: Oct 23, 2007