Arbroath - London

Scotland Travel Blog

Breakfast at Ethie Castle

Went down to the old tudor dining room which was beautifully decorated with old antiques, a huge fireplace and chandelier for our breakfast. Started with grapefruit and cereal, then full Scottish breakfast and coffee.

The family Jack Russels played around our feet as we ate and Kirsten told us about the 3 ghosts inhabiting the castle and the various attractions around the area.

Packed up our stuff and headed off to the airport.

Drove through Dundee, Perth and over the Severn bridge to Edinburgh airport.

Dropped off the car and got a complimentary bus to the terminal.

Checked in and went through to departures. Played games on the laptop while waiting and I bought some perfume.

On the road again....

Had a horrible flight home as we hit an air pocket, something I had never experienced before which scared the life out of me.

Picked up the car and headed off to Anita’s to get birthday presents and show her our photos before heading home to get ready for my birthday dinner.

Being born and raised in Dunedin, which I was told while in Scotland was Gaelic for Edinburgh, I have grown up with Bagpipes, tartan and a proud Scottish heritage.

Like most people in Dunedin, I have wanted to visit Scotland all my life and am so very proud to have done it.

The country reminded me a lot of New Zealand which I expected and like New Zealand I think it is a country that is beautiful in all seasons. Autumn was just magical and the land was so many different colours, contrasting with the grey of the sky and the blue/green of the lochs.

Everywhere we went the Scottish people were warm and friendly and overall a very proud race of people, everywhere we went was a reminder of how hard they had to fight for their freedom and how they treasure their history.

I will return to Scotland again one day and would love to go to the more remote areas such as the Northern and Western Islands where my ancestors came from.

highlandmist says:
I enjoyed your blog and reading your views of so many of the same places we visited and loved. You're a fantastic writer, wish I could do half as well, keep it up! Thanks.
Posted on: Oct 24, 2007