Bath Travel Blog

Bath , England : 11/6-11/8/07

I arrived in Bath later in the afternoon. Stepping from the train station I looked out across a massive construction project going on in downtown Bath . I am staying in the White Hart Inn which is located about five minutes behind the train station. A quick walk over the River Avon and I was in the general area of the hostel. The White Hart is a pub that has some rooms in the back available for people to stay in. So here I was walking the streets in the general area of the Inn but could not see it anywhere. Fortunately I had looked up the White Hart online and saw a picture of it.  Now in the picture there is a sign on the front of the building but today there was no sign. I just spotted the white deer above the door and knew I was in the right spot. Walking through the door I was greeted by the Marible the Inn ’s dog. Her bed is right next to the front door to greet all those who enter. I am staying in a six bed dorm room, as of now I have the place all to myself. Just when I was looking forward to getting back to being around some people here I am with the entire hostel all to myself.

I headed out to see some of the city and get something to eat. Bath is a very pretty city; 200 years ago this city was the trendsetting Hollywood of Britain. It has more historically listed buildings per capita than any other town in England . After stopping in at the local Mark & Spencer’s to pick up some food I walked over to the Parade Gardens to sit and enjoy my late lunch in the beautiful gardens along the River Avon. The fall colors are really coming out here in lower England and if it wasn’t starting to get cold out I could have sat in the park watching the sun set behind the Abby well past dusk. With the yellow leaves on the trees and the red & blue sky above; this was quite the surroundings. It is really starting to get colder over here once the sun goes down. With the sun down I began to walk the city. After making a few laps around Bath I decided it was time to retire for the night. It has been nice having my laptop along for this trip; on a night like this I will be enjoying a movie on the laptop in my warm room. Check that; there is NO outlets in my room and my laptop needs a charge. There is no common room in this place to sit down and relax, so I checked a few of the rooms in the place. I found one room unlocked and it has a power outlet; now I am in business.

I woke up early to take a free walking tour of Bath ; the tour guide was a very nice older lady. Our group walked around Bath for two hours; seeing all the main places and sights along with learning about the long history of this beautiful city. I was going to try to get on a half day tour to head out and see Stonehenge ; unfortunately the tour was full. I spent the rest of the afternoon walking through some parks and just relaxing. Tomorrow I head off to Penzance out near Lands End.

photo by: Hummingbird