England - Abergavenny

Wales Travel Blog

Bracon Beacons
After a lovely night at Susan's in Clapham, I caught the tube at 6am to Victoria Station where I had a quick breakfast beforw finding the Haggis Tour office and boarding the bright yellow 26 seater bus at 7.15.

On the tour was 10 girls and 2 guys including our Scottish tour guide Dougie.

The other guy was American and there was 4 Australians, 1 other kiwi, 1 Canadian, a Japanese girl and 2 Germans.

We set off through London along the Thames and along the highway towards Reading where we stopped at the services for petrol and food.

From there we headed West the the edge of England and crossed the mighty Severn bridge into Wales.

Chepstow Bridge

Just after the bridge we stopped at a small coastal town called Chepstow where we went on a bridge that was half in England and half in Wales! It was a weird feeling being in 2 countries at once, and for me the first time I have driven into another country instead of flown!

Visited Chepstow castle and took some photos.

Along the road a bit we stopped for a toilet break at Tintern Abbey which was the huge ruins of an old abbey. We all walked up a hill opposite to the ruins of an old church where we had a view over the valley and the abbey.

After about an hours drive we stopped for lunch in Caerphilly where Europe's largest ruined castle complete with moat is situated in the centre of town. Sat at a pub overlooking the castle and had a chicken and bacon salad and a pint of cider. Took photos but unfortunately didn't have enough time to go through the castle.

Mount Snowdon

From there the landscape grew steeper as we headed into Brecon National Park.

Our stop here was in a small clearing at the foot of a valley. We wandered around and climbed half way up a hill beside a mountain stream where we had a great view of the Bercon Beacons.

After this stop we headed to our stop for the night in Abergavenny.

We stayed at a pub/hostel called the Black Sheep. Unpacked my gear in the dorm room and had a shower and joined everyone else and some locals on the seats out the fount of the pub in the sun. Chatted to the locals about where we are from and my fellow backpackers about our travels. Played some pool before we got into teams and had a pub quiz ran by a local guy with painted nails and a captain hook like wig! Played more pool before heading to bed around 1am.

Chepstow Castle