Wedding Day and Short Visit to Rizal Park

Manila Travel Blog

Rizal and Me

My sister's friend from college who shares the same family name as us got married in Manila Cathedral in Intramuros. It was a lovely, and I think expensive wedding. This cathedral is historical, been down several times. The first cathedral, made of nipa and bamboos, was built in 1581. It was damaged by a typhoon in 1582 and razed by fire in 1583. The new cathedral, which was made of stone, was made in 1592. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1600. The third cathedral, with three naves and seven chapels, was started in 1584 and blessed in 1614. It was toppled by another earthquake which shook Manila in 1645. The magnificent fourth cathedral was constructed in 1654 to 1671 under Archbishop Miguel Poblete.

It was severely damaged in 1863 by a very strong earthquake that even toppled the Palace of the Governor General of the Philippines. In 1880, another earthquake toppled its bell tower and since then until in 1959, the cathedral remained towerless. The fifth cathedral was constructed in 1870•1879. It was solemnly blessed in December of 1879. The center cross of the dome is a reference point of astronomical longitudes of the archipelago. The magnificent cathedral was toppled into ruins by bombing in 1945. The present cathedral was constructed in 1954 to 1958 under Archbishop Rufino Jiao Santos of Manila and under the supervision of National Artist for Architecture Awardee, Architect Fernando Ocampo. It was elevated into the rank of minor basilica in 1981 by Pope John Paul II.

The union is between my sister's friend and her colleague in Japan, they are both working in Procter and Gamble.

My sister, the maid-of-honor. :)
After the wedding, next stop would be the wedding reception. It is in Manila Peninsula Hotel, a quite famous and interesting hotel situated in Makati, the business center of Manila. This is the hotel that has been on the news months ago. Interesting eh? :)

However before heading to the reception, I decided to pay homage to Jose Rizal, our National Hero by dropping by his statue in a park named after him, Rizal park. The bronze and granite Rizal monument has long been considered among the most famous sculptural landmarks in the country. It is almost protocol for visiting dignitaries to lay a wreath at the monument. Located at the Luneta is not merely the statue of the national hero, but also the mausoleum that houses his remains. Both statue and mausoleum are located near the very spot where Rizal was executed. It was by coincidence that the wedding day is Rizal Day too! I was wearing a Barong Tagalog, our national attire for men that day. I felt really patriotic, being away from the Philippines for quite sometime, doing things like this is very special and nostalgic. This is just re-affirming where my heart really belongs. :)

After the short visit in Rizal Park, we headed to Manila Peninsula Hotel. We dined, smoked, got drunk. And smoked again. This is what I noticed, I crave for a smoke whenever I am in the Philippines. I really wonder why. :)

Philippine Flag