Historical Tour by A Friend

Manila Travel Blog

For a friend's bday, he and his partner asked me to join them in exploring the Philippine National Museum. This was my nth time to visit that place. What's different this time is that I was with a friend who is a major of Arts History. Someone who knows this kind of stuff. That made this visit more interesting that my other previous visits. There are some parts of the museum that I normally took for granted and showed less or no interest at all, but because of my friend's knowledge and trivia, I took a second look with renewed interest to those parts. As usual, I was not able to take some photos inside the Museum but I plan to join a tour by one of the consultants to this museum where taking photos is allowed. i would be nice to show the here some good stuffs that makes me proud to be a Filipino.
Paco Park, the chapel and the fountain
To name some, Spolarium by Luna and the Manunggul Jars. And my new favorites, the Maitum Burial Jars and the Ifugao House.

Anyway, I was satisfied after our visit to the Museums, as always.

After the visit, we decided to check Paco Park. It is another old Spanish cemetery with a small chapel. The place was originally planned as a cemetery for the aristocrats of Manila society during the Spanish era.

The cemetery is circular in shape, with an inner circular fort that was the original cemetery and with the niches that were placed or located within the hollow walls. As the population continued to grow, a second outer wall was built with the thick adobe walls were hollowed as niches and the top of the walls were made into pathways for promenades.
An old photo when I attended a wedding there
Some notable historical figures that were interred there was our national hero, Jose Rizal on an unmarked grave together with the three Filipino priests, Gomburza (Gomez, Burgos and Zamora) who were martyred by colonizer Spain as well.

However, during World War II in 1912, burial or interment at the Paco Park ceased. It had been the burial ground for several generations and descendants of those who were buried in the park had the remains of their ancestors transferred.

A Roman Catholic chapel with circular dome was built inside the walls of the Paco Park and it was dedicated to St Pancratius (a minor saint I guess). Today, this place is one of the choices of church for weddings and receptions for those who prefer a garden-like settings. The used-to-be circular cemetery simply gives an old and romantic ambiance.
Malate Church
I attended weddings of friends and relatives there. I like this place, really.

After the Paco church, we headed to Aristocrat for some merienda. After finishing a bowl of chicken rice porridge and a glass of four seasons fruit shake, we headed to the nearby church, another old church, the Malate church. This church is distinct in a sense that it mixed Arabic element with baroque Cristiano style. The style is Mudejar, a blend of geometric arabesque in Catholic structure that are found in moor-influenced Spain.

A mass was on going during our visit, so we were not able to explore the interior of the church, but from the look of it, it was a simple with nothing special golden retablo and plain ceiling. :)

Then it was time to go home. It was a tiring day with Manila experiencing its tropical summer. A short exposure to sunlight tis time could be painful for some. Beaches are really calling me....:)
planisphere says:
I am not really sure about the schedule but I would think, close sila during weekdays... :) We went there on a Sunday kaya may Mass pa when we get there. :)
Posted on: Mar 11, 2009
arlene0725 says:
The Malate church was already closed for services around 5 pm (weekday) when my Aunt and I got there. But we were able to take tons of photos inside when the permission of the staff. Yes, I said a little prayer too while there.
Posted on: Mar 11, 2009
Paco Park, the chapel and the foun…
Paco Park, the chapel and the fou…
An old photo when I attended a wed…
An old photo when I attended a we…
Paco Park Gate
Paco Park Gate
No Littering. Avoid Penaly. :)
No Littering. Avoid Penaly. :)
Old Tombs
Old Tombs
Gomburza Marker
Gomburza Marker
Facade of Malate Church
Facade of Malate Church
Manila Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A Must Try Filipino Resto
The Aristocrat Restaurant is a Filipino-owned family corporation founded by the late Doña Engracia (“Aling Asiang”) Cruz-Reyes and her husband, J… read entire review
Manila