Another Daytrip in Manila.... San Sebastian Church

Manila Travel Blog

One Saturday morning, a visitor from Canada. She wanted to see places in Manila. I thought of a church that I have not seen yet. We decided to go to San Sebastian.

Completed in 1891, San Sebastian Church is noted for its architectural features. It has been recognized by the UNESCO as the only all-steel church or basilica in Asia. It has also been implausibly reputed to be the first prefabricated building in the world, and more plausibly claimed as the only prefabricated steel church in the world. In 2006, San Sebastian Church was included in the Tentative List for possible designation as a World Heritage Site. It was designated as a National Historical Landmark by the Philippine government in 1973.

This church is special since most of the old churches here in Manila or in the Philippines in general are usually massive and made up of stone and baroque in style; this one is gothic in style and built in steel. In recent years, the church has encountered threats to its structural integrity. The steel church has been beset by rust and corrosion, which the sea breezes from nearby Manila Bay contribute to.

We spent less than an hour there, camwhoring and appreciating the beauty of the church. I agree that even for a short time, I would say it was a good trip.

Isabetlog says:
This is actually my favorite of all the Manila churches :)
Posted on: Jul 07, 2008