Manila Homecoming - Intramuros Visit

Manila Travel Blog

Entrance Door of San Augustin Church
Every time I go home in the Philippines, it would be to meet old friends and of course, family. Normally, I would rather not go to the touristy places. However,  for this particular visit, I made sure that my parents would tag along with me in Intramuros - the walled city of old Manila. There are so much to see there that are truly Filipino - churches and buildings that reminds us of our Castillan past.
We first visited San Agustin Church. This church is declared as World Heritage by UNESCO. The church looks so old and yet so beautiful. It is one of many baroque churches that has being built in the archipelago during the Spanish occupation.
Facade of San Augustine Church
Next to it is a museum, where artifacts during the Spanish colonization are displayed. There are some areas where taking photo is not allowed. This I can't understand why. So did my mother. So, she acted as my lookout whenever I took pictures in those areas. Without flash. :)
My father was just happy to touch the tomb of Miguel Lopez De Legaspi. This guy was the one who successfully placed Manila under Spain and he was the first Governor-General of almost three hundred years of the Philippines in chain under the Spanish control.
After San Agustin, we went to Casa Manila. This house is a sample of what a typical rich household looked like hundred years ago. Everything looks stiffed, typical of those with Fiipinos with Spanish blood. Again, my mom served as my lookout everytime I took pictures inside the house where taking photo is prohibited.

After the Casa, we hailed a Callesa. This is a house driven carriage that ruled Intramuros during the Spanish time. This journey is supposed to bring one back in time of the occupation. The tour supposedly stopped at every major feature of Intramuros, but my parents were too lazy to go down. So, I ended up exploring the wall all by myself. One funny thing is, a group of teenage Filipinos thought that I am a Japanese tourist, maybe because I was wearing cargo shorts, disney shirt and sunnies and was carrying a camera. Right. I am so Filipino (I think). This reminds me of the American old lady on my AMTRAK trip from San Franscisco to Fresno where my cousin resides. She kept of saying to my face that I am a Japanese, thus not allowed to smile, to eat and even to talk while I was near her.
Manila Cathedral Dome
I just didn't mind here, I think she is challenged metally or something. teehee. She accused me of being too oriental. Is this something bad? Are Orientals not welcome in the US? I just want to ask this since I don't know the deal in the US. As far as I know, it is so okay to be oriental here in Asia. Hehehe. Toink!
Anyway, during the Callesa trip, We saw the old chapel of Gomburza (the three Filipino priest that was executed by Spain), the printing house, the first Banco Central, the old locations of the oldest University and the Manila Cathedral. The Cathedral looks simple when compared to San Agustin in terms of character.
I am supposed to go to Fort Santiago where museum with Rizal's items are displayed. However my parents were just too tired or too lazy to go down the Callesa and walk.
Filipino Guards outside Casa Manila
By the way, Rizal was a non-violent revolutionary during the Spansh time. His execution by firing squad has pushed the Filipinos to revolt against the tyrant. Rizal is regarded as the true first Filipino. Just like any other Filipino, he is basically Malay, part Chinese and with Spanish ancestry as well. I plan to go back there just to see Fort Santiago. Or maybe, I will join the walking tour of Carlo Celdran.
To end our trip, the Callesa driver has dropped us to my favorite place to eat - Jollibee! It was just too good to wrap up my Intramuros trip with a nice Palabok (some thick noodles with peanut sauce) and Jollibee Hotdog! :)
manilatop10 says:
Nice shot of the Cathedral!
I was there on Election Day at 6 A.M. to hear the bells ring ... too bad i'm not an accomplished photographer like you!
Eric
Posted on: May 24, 2010
canleb25 says:
Congrats on the Feature
Posted on: Apr 30, 2009
Koralifix says:
Congrats on being featured today! Nice job!
Posted on: Apr 30, 2009
Entrance Door of San Augustin Chur…
Entrance Door of San Augustin Chu…
Casa Manila