To Orchha

Orchha Travel Blog

Today was another train journey to Orchha, took 4 hours. I managed to get breakfast upstairs in the hotel before leaving. It was a good time in the morning because it was still cool, about 7.  The heat got pretty intense so I was glad to be sitting next to a window. After a while it didn't matter though because the sun started beating down right on top of me.  The trains are pretty relaxed as far as safety goes. To start with the doors don't even shut properly so you could quite easily look out at everything (which I did), and get a bit of breeze at the same time. If your nose is pretty sensitive its a good idea to go to the loo before you get in and hold in what ever else you can! Its pretty ripe, pardon the expression. Its not nice but you get used to it eventually. From the train we got auto-rickshaws to the next hotel. All our bags in one and us in two others.

Although we were staying in a hotel complex, we actually slept in pretty good tents that had air-con and a private bathroom. My favourite accommodation so far I think. Really back to nature, a lot of giant sized bugs on the inside!

We had lunch in the hotel and then went for a walk into the local village to look around and then visit a temple and a fort. We had another guide for this and he was really good. Made the experience more enjoyable. He revelled in telling us stories about the area to give us an idea of how things really worked. This took all day but was worth it.

photo by: Biedjee