lots of death

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

killing fields

This blog is a little out of order and we'll update with pictures in a few days when we have more time..  now on to the eventful trip into Cambodia.  We started out on a three day tour of the Mekong (pictures to follow) and a boat ride to Phnom Penh.  On the way  from Vietnam to Cambodia (five hour boat ride in the fast boat) I spotted a body in the water.  I told Val to look what was in the water.  She took a quick glance and was pissed that I made her look, but I was not sure if it was what I thought. It was definitely a naked man flotting on the waves.  There were about twenty other people on the boat and I thought that I must have been seeing things, otherwise the other people and the boat driver would have noticed.

mass graves
 We also thought that maybe this was a local custom. About ten minutes later I told one of the boat drivers; in sign language I showed  "slit throat" and  " I think I saw a body floating in the water"(interesting actions).  When we arrived at the Vietnam border the boat driver told the border guard what I had seen and they sent a boat with two officers to investigate.  Sure enough it was a body.  1 hour later at the Cambodian entry site the boat driver told me that the body had been killed the night before and that it was a Cambodian. He did have his throat slit. Creepy, Creepy Creepy.

Today we spent most of the day touring the city seeing the sites which relates to Pol Pot's genocide mission and the Killing fields.  Nice town but the big draw is death and we got the full tour.

On a brighter note we are off to the beach in Sihanookville for a few days before hitting the temples at Angkor.

SarahSobczyk says:
That sounds like the craziest thing ever!! Oh, no God!! But everything in Vietnam seemed just amazing!! We had Indian food last night (a big event for us because we live in BFE) it was good but Micah bit into a small rock when he was eating the Gralic Naan Bread. Only his luck right;)
Posted on: Dec 01, 2006