A Tale of Two Countries

Saint Maarten Travel Blog

Yet another beautiful port. The cruise just keeps getting better and better. Today we booked another historic tour, which would take, is all around the island. We visited both the French and the Dutch sides. We learned some really interesting facts about this very unique island. For instance, it's actually two different countries, St. Maarten and St. Martin, I had no idea. If you called the French side from the Dutch side you would be charged for an international call. Yikes!

After we got back to the Dutch side where our tour ended we took a water taxi back over to the French side to visit a lovely open-air market. I was much more at ease here than in Nassau. There were so many cute trinkets here. I picked up three turtles here which is a tradition I continued on later island visits.

One cool thing about the island was seeing the wild horses.

After visiting these ports I made myself a promise. I promised to leave the United States at least once a year from now on. This was the first time I had traveled out of the country in 4 years and I realized how much I missed the thrill of experiencing new cultures.

Andy99 says:
We loved St. Maarten--the dual cultures, friendly people, and the beautiful blue water!
Posted on: Oct 21, 2007
There were loads of wild horses in…
There were loads of wild horses i…
Saint Maarten