The glacier, the whole glacier and nothing but the glacier

El Calafate Travel Blog

Stark but beautiful

Today I set eyes on the reason I had come to El Calafate. The magnificant Mereno Glacier, over 20 stories high (just the bit you can see at the base and not the part underwater) as I first looked at it, it made me think of Superman (the first film, not the recent remake). Yes the bit where man of steel goes off with his crystal to set up his new HQ in the frozen wastes. Seeing the jutting pillars of ice stretch as far as the eye can see, was an incredible sight. Well worth the trip to the bottom of Argentina to see it.

I also went a walking tour on the glacier (just the safe bit on the side) for about an hour and a half, polished off with a scotch on the rocks on the glacier, kindly supplied by the tour company. The ice? From the glacier of course, hundreds of years old. A rare case of the ice being older than the whisky! A great day trip . I left about 9am and was back in town by 7pm).

For dinner I had a great meal in Casimiro, on the main street. It has a log fire in the middle, with more intimacy and better service than its spin off restaurant (Casimiro Bigua) a few doors down. Not cheap though at 140 pesos for a 3 course meal and a glass of wine. Still a very good end to a great day.

I can see a glacier
I can see a glacier
The glacier side on
The glacier side on
No escape from the papparazi!
No escape from the papparazi!
On the glacier