Our last stop in Loas

Vientiane Travel Blog

L'arc de triomphe

We were both relieved to arrive in Vientiane - I'd managed to get through the bus journey down, phew! Before catching our flight back to Bangkok, we had 2 nights and 1.5 days to enjoy Vientiane. We treated ourselves to a lovely hotel right on the river front, but again high season was working against us, since we only managed to secure one night.

Since I was feeling good (and even hungry!) I was ready for something yummy and Vientiane promised some fine French Restaurants! Unfortunately, our first choice was closed for the holidays but we managed to find a lovely French bistro-style place in a square featuring a fountain - we felt like we were in Aix-en- Provence! ahhhhh European style can't be beaten!

After having moved to our next hotel, we only really had one day to explore the city since our flight to Bangkok required a 2 hr journey to the bus station back over in Thailand.

Aix-en-Provence
The city really wasn't very big and was easily explored in a day. Again the French influence couldn't be escaped - they even had a trimphal arch, a national memorial called Patuxay celebrating their independence.

We walked up to the main temple of the city, Pha That Luang - featuring a really striking stupa after a wander round it was time for some lunch. We spent the afternoon walking around the rest of the city - a few state buildings and shops, and that was about it! A nice relaxing city with a bit to see, but we both agreed that a day was long enough since we had managed to see everything!

That evening we had a very yummy french meal and even treated ourselves to some house wine - not bad at all.

Larc de triomphe
L'arc de triomphe
Aix-en-Provence
I have finally found something big…
I have finally found something bi…
Vientiane