Trujillo

Trujillo Travel Blog

The coach from Chachapoyas to Trujillo was the most comfortable yet and did manage to get some sleep but still knackered after our 3 overnight bus journey in 5 nights. After hitting the coast at Chiclayo, the scenery starting changing from arid desert to paddy fields and desert mountsins.

Trujillo is a larger version of Piura with 800000 inhabitants.  Not much to do or see in the town and unfortunately everything is a lot more spread out meaning more walking in the desert heat.  Had the usual pretty plaza before Dave reverted to more replacement shopping.

Tired and shopping together does not work for me and I wasnt in the mood.  We found a bar (not an easy task) and got a beer.  Two locals lads latched onto us and took us to a better bar close by.  They helped us with our Spanish and one of them had his English book and asked for advice on pronunciation.  Had a nice couple of hours before leaving back to the hotel.  It was only when we were back at the hotel that we thought that the $20 note we exchange for them was a forgery - school boy error but I guess it could have been a lot worse ! Both of us feeling a bit jaded so early night.

Woke up feeling better but Dave and I made a big decision to cut out one of our highlights for Peru - the Cordillera Blanca. Supposedly the best trekking and views in Peru with 25 peaks over 6000m, the guide suggested giving it 5 days to do it justice which we didnt have given our deadline to get to Cusco.

Our 2 days would be nearly completely bus journeys so cut it out to give ourselves a more leisurely route to Cusco.  That decided, our next destination would be the capital Lima.

Before we left, I wanted to see some of the famous ruins outside of Trujillo with Chan Chan being the biggest adobe city in the Americas and Huanca del Sol being the biggest adobe pyramid in the Americas.  However after checking the bus times, they were predictably terrible giving us the choice of lunch time departure or another overnighter.  We sacrificed the ruins as well and moved on to Lima.  The clientelle was clearly a step up from what we had been used to as we got 3 films (including 2 with English subtitles) and even a game of bingo as we motored through the desert !  At Lima, we checked into a big backpacker hostel giving us our 1st taste of shared dorms.

Trujillo