Salta

Salta Travel Blog

Salta - a city with a lovely climate, European feel, plazas with coffee shops, good historical buildings, attractive women and passionate about football - its hard not to like it.  To make matters better, we heard that Boca Juniors were playing a pre season friendly in Salta that night.  Made it our 1st priority to get tickets.  Walking to stadium, spotted the small things that remind you of being in South America as saw a bloke trying to pull down a 20 metre tree with a rope into a street full of cars. Wandered around Salta which although attractive , doesnt really have many attractions to fill your time.  Chilled out in the main plaza with a coffee and plotted our path south.

Returned to hostel for an afternoon of pool where Joel on fire and Paul and I couldnt get him off the table.

Got taxi to stadium and got a couple of sausage baguettes outside the ground - much better standard than England. Atmosphere electric even an hour before kick off for a friendly.  Inside even better and our tickets were right next to the main Boca supporters. Songs already in full swing when, 30 minutes before kick off, the Boca band announced itself and played its way into the aisles next to us.  The music never stopped once until after the final whistle.  Adding to the fun, the Coca Cola sellers were selling Fernet (tastes similar to Brandy) on the sly to add to the coke.  We bought one each and asked him to return every 15 minutes - he was good for it and Joel and I managed to get through 7 each during the game.

Unfortunately match itself was a disappointment with Boca putting out a reserve team and ending 0-0 but atmosphere more than made up for it.  I jumped and bounced my way through the game alongside every Boca supporter.

Left the ground upbeat and headed for the main street of bars.  Found a bar that took our fancy and chilled with some lager.  I started a conversation with a group of Argentinian girls on the table next to us which Chris chipped in with his superior Spanish, joined the 2 tables together and chatted the night away until 4.30.  Arranged to meet them for the cable car ride tomorrow.

Nice lie in as no alarms went off before 10am. Enough time to pack and check out but weather rubbish.  Resumed pool challenge with Joel and put him in his place with an 8-0 vistory. Lost to Chris 0-5.  Couldnt find a full English so had to make do with a bagiuette and the Argentinian speciality Empanadas.  Far too much food and saved the Empanadas for later.  Sunday afternoon and everything closed - couldnt find anything to do.  Decided against meeting girls for cable car as mist would have prevented any views over city.  Watched 1st half of Everton v Chelsea Carling Cup semi final before leaving Salta on my 1st full Cama (lie down seats) bus to Argentinas 2nd city (Cordoba)

Salta