Otavalo and around

Otavalo Travel Blog

I had high expectations of this trip but so far Ecuador is exceeding all expectations.  Everywhere you look, there is jaw dropping scenery.  Quito is surrounded by mountains, but the journey from Quito to Otavalo was even more impressive with mountains that you can´t see the top of due to them being above the clouds.  The locals are really friendly and although no-one knows any English, Dave and I are getting by ok.

Otavalo is famous for its Saturday market to which we went to.  The whole town becomes one big market with pretty much anything you want to buy on offer.  Its a shame that the visit is at the start of the holiday because the standard of craftmanship on almost every stall was incredible.

A complete range of smells as we wandered around from unknown herbs and spices, full hog roasts to rotting fruit and veg slowly cooking in the heat.  A great contrast to the big city of Quito but still with limitless character.  Every town has beautiful plazas that are immaculately kept.  Dave and I had our first proper night out and ended up being dragged on to the dance flor by 15 local middle aged indigenous women to dance the night away to pan pipes.  We were completely out of place being at least a foot taller than everyone else and the only white people in there but it added to the fun.

Today I did a 4 hour walk around the rim of a volcanic crater just outside of Otavalo (Laguna Cuicocha).  Dave was supposed to join me but was hung over so walked around with 6 others staying at our hostel.  Would fully recommend it to anyone and although a little challenging in parts (good practise for things to come), was fully justified by the views.  Two islands in the middle of turquoise lake.  Temperatures are hitting 30 so got a little burnt but still haven´t come close to Dave who is now peeling everwhere !!

Currently sitting in Ibarra and will explore briefly before continuing our travels up north to get our connection in to the jungle.

Otavalo