Greetings from Quito.

Quito Travel Blog

Well after 18 months of toil and trouble, planning and replanning, I´ve finally made it !!

A special thanks go to my boss Di for showing compassion in letting me have this ridiculous amount of time off work for which I will always be grateful.  Also Heather in Sheffield for kicking me into shape for finally taking a risk and booking it prior to my house sale going through (a call that has definitely been the right one).  Also my sister Heather who has helped in making this possible.  And in no small amount Peter for constantly bending over backwards to help and my dad and Di for always being there to lend a helping hand.

Trip over wasn´t trouble free with an hour sat on the tarmac in Heathrow whilst American Airlines sorted out a cock up with the paperwork and 2 hours to get through Miami passport control left me with 1 hour to collect baggage, recheck in for Quito flight and get to gate.
  However I made it and managed to track down Dave and Marie after finding an internet cafe to log on and find the hostel details.

Quito is very picturesque set in a valley between 15000 feet mountains.  A perfect start.  Marie has already left for her week in the Galapagos so Dave and I spent the day wandering around both old and new towns at a leisurely pace.  Very colonial with amazing churches on almost every corner.  Got a cab up a local hill for some amazing views over the city which fills the whole valley.  Our 3 course lunch cost $2 each. Pretty good first day.

andycox_is_now_in says:
Hi mate. Of course I remember you. It may have been a while since we last saw each other but Lynda still mentions you quite frequently to keep me updated on what you are up to. And I also remember you thrashed me on quite a few occassions as well.

Trip so far is living up to all expectations. Getting so long off work on full pay is not an opportunity that many people get so Im taking it with both hands and loving every minute of it.

Youve had your fair share of amazing trips as well so Im currently catching up to you, Lynda and my other sister Heather with their big trips in the southern hemisphere.
Hope you are keeping well. Ill keep the blog entries coming every couple of days when I get onto a PC. No doubt everyone will be bored of them sometime soon, but its a good way for me to be able to look back at it after I have to finally travel back to England. Keep in touch,
Posted on: Dec 12, 2007
samgeoghegan says:
Hi Andy,

Not sure you'll remember me?...... yes, that's right, you used to thrash me at squash.
My best mate (your big sis) put me onto you.
You've no idea how jealous you're making everyone here - proper Bear Grilles (that's a poor mans Ray Mears if you're not sure).
Will keep checking your blog, but looks like the mutz nutz so far.
Take it easy.