studying in milan

Milan Travel Blog

i come from a family of globe trekkers. as i write this, right now my parents are in southeast asia for a month and my brother is somewhere in scandinavia. so my first year in college, i made the decision to study abroad in italy. i even took a year of italian to prepare for my trip. but i became one of those people that always had an excuse why i couldn't go. "i don't have the money" or "i don't want to stay in college for another year" or a combination of the two, "i need to graduate now so i can work to make money." i finally grew the balls to do it last year when the timing was perfect. breaking up with my long term boyfriend and quitting my dead end job was the push i needed to send in my visa application. my family was excited for me as i was about to embark on this adventure, but for me personally, i was scared shitless.
i was about to move to a foreign country that i had only visited once before, my year of italian in 1999 was pratically non-existent, and i didn't know a single person in the whole country. so you can't blame me for having some reservations about leaving my comfort zone. and wouldn't you know it, my worst fears came true.

to get an italian student visa, the consulate required that i show proof i would have housing my first month in milan. all this planning was last minute and with the deadline looming near, i was desparate to find anything. eventually, i found a nice italian mamma on the internet to put me up. all she needed was the rent and she would give me the necessary documents. with everything in place and planned out perfectly, i was beginning to feel excited! the big day came and i took my flight from san francisco to philadelphia to london to milan, then the bus to the city center, then a taxi to my new home.
after 27 hours of traveling and with 2 big ass suitcases, i arrived at my new home........only to realize i got scammed. that nice italian mamma didn't live there and the phone number she gave me didn't work.

to make a long story short, i cried almost everyday the first month. who was i kidding? i wasn't cut out for this bullshit, my dad is, my dad's dad is, my dad's dad's dad is, but not me. the first sign of failure and i wanted to take the next flight back home. but me and my family didn't see eye to eye on my predicament. they told me there was no way they would let me come back, i had to deal with it like a big girl, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, life is full of roadbumps, blah blah blah. i guess this was the tough love i needed (though it certainly didn't seem like it at the time). so i finally sucked it up and got out of my funk. and the next nine months in milan was the best time i ever had! sure it had its ups and downs, but i would do it all over again if i had the chance. i'm just not sure i would pay another 650 euro for a visa.
travelman727 says:
I'm sorry to hear about the scam, but it's great that you left your comfort zone and explored beautiful Milan and Italia :-D
Posted on: Nov 04, 2007
Devika1985 says:
great pictures great blog!
Posted on: Oct 28, 2007