Time for a swim

South Shetland Islands Travel Blog

Deception island really lived up to its name today. There was a bit of wind and cloudy as we approached the island. Suddenly the wind picks up and it starts to snow. I really started to worry that they were going to cancle the landing because of the weather, it was that bad... The island is an old vulcano wich have collapsed in the middle so its like a large lagoon inside where they used to have a whaling station.
We go in throught the quite narrow passage to the lagoon and the wind drops to almost nothing. Suddenly we see a smal blue patch in the clouds. By the time we get to the shore the sun is shining through a large blue hole.
We walk along the beach which are crowded with petrel birds eating krill in the water and have a look at the old houses.
At 19:15 it is time to meet up in the bay for a swim. There is hot water coming out of the black lava sand so close to the beach (more or less at the beach) the water is warm and nice. There are boilded (cooked) krill floating around in the water here. There were a lot of people that dared to go in the water. Many more then I though would do it and some of them was older then 70!
To get some good photos I had brought my sleeping mattrass that I am going to use for my trekking and lay it on a block of ice floating in the water. I tink the persons on the beach got some good photos. As for the swimming part, at the beach it was nice, a couple of meters out it was freezing cold! As always the coldest part is getting dressed again. To get rid of the cold the staff had brought along the bartender and hot spiced redwine of some sort. Thanks again Karin!

As soon as we where back at the ship the clouds started closing in at us again... They never had such good weather at a landing here before. We are lucky!

Next stop was going to be the Antartic peninsular and we set off at full speed!

South Shetland Islands