the ostrich - crocodile curry night

Utrecht Travel Blog

banana beer

we'd been planning this trip for a while - ever since I spotted a small sign on the Oudegraacht advertising the restaurant.  Ilka, Eva and I finally managed to find a date we could all make it, and journeyed forth to the Ostrich to see what crocodile tasted like.

After a few emails sorting out the last minute question of whether or not we ought to reserve (we did in the end, and I don't think it's a bad idea), a time was set too.  We met at the restaurant, which was full of bright art and little statue things, and ordered our food.  It seemed to make sense to order something different and try each others dinner, so after finding out that there was no camel in coffee sauce, (not camel season, apparently!) I ordered Kudu Stew, Ilka had crocodile curry, and Eva ordered ostrich.

crocodile curry (l) and kudu stew (r)
  We shared Ostrich salad to start, and Ilka and I had some fruity beers (Eva doesn't drink alcohol, and very sensibly ordered juice.  This was a good idea - banana beer does not go well with food!).

I'll write a restaurant review to fill in the boring what things cost, what was the service like stuff, and concentrate on the food here.  And before anyone asks, I have no idea what the Dutch for "is this meat ethically sourced?" is, so I didn't ask!  I'm going to hell for my carbon footprint anyway!  The important question is, what does it all taste of?

Crocodile tastes of chicken!  It actually really does!  The old cliché stands.  Of course, it has the same texture as meaty fish.  if you imagine a swordfish that has been living on nothing but chicken and got really fat, you have a crocodile.  It tastes really good, and the sauce was wonderful.  Kudu tastes, unsurprisingly, of Venison, but a little more beef-textured.  Again, the sauce in the stew was fantastic.  And ostrich tastes of a slightly richer sort of pheasant.  The salad was perfect, with a slightly spicy dressing and lots of avacado.  The deserts weren't as good as the main course for the most part, but the little sweets and cakes I got with the mint tea were wonderful.  We had a lovely night and I went to bed early with an extremely happy tummy.

banana beer
crocodile curry (l) and kudu stew …
crocodile curry (l) and kudu stew…
Eva and Ilka
Eva and Ilka
coconut beer
coconut beer
cakes!
cakes!
Utrecht Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
The Ostrich is an African restaurant on the canal in Utrecht. Its menu has a statement that they try to create recipes that reflect Africa as a moder… read entire review
Utrecht