Australia (in brief)

Sydney Travel Blog

Well everyone seems to like my traveling photo journals, so I decided I would revisit the past and share some photos of me back in the day. I appologize for any lack of quality in these photos, they have undergone a variety of resizes and compressions. But heck, they still look great for my old 2.1 Megapixel camera!

First stop on memory lane... Australia. My first experience outside of the USA. I highly recommend it as a travel destination. Its perfect for those people who might be nervous about entering a new country. They all speak English and everyones really nice.

I went to Australia the week after I graduated college. I had about 1.5-2 months before work started and I figured this might be the only time I'd ever make it over to Australia.

I landed in Sydney and spent my first two days adjusting to the 14 hour time difference. I stayed in a quiet, artsy district outside of Sydney for my first days. I figured this would be a good place to adjust. I spent my days checking out the local shops and making some hikes into the downtown area. One of my first stops was the local aquarium, which are always fun to visit.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The great thing about the Sydney harbour is the wonderful sunsets you get.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After a couple days I got sick of the city. Not that Sydney is bad, I just really wanted to get out into the wild and see the landscapes Australia has to offer. So I found a tour guide that drove me out to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. They took me and some others on a great hike through some of the canyons near by.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then we drove to see the Three Sisters. You used to be able to repel down them, but due to erosion problems, thats no longer an option.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There was also this old cable car that took us down into the canyon to see the forest from below. It reminded me of something out of Indiana Jones!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I spent two nights in Katoomba. I spent those days taking day hikes along the edge of the mountains. I just love being out in nature alone. Its simply peaceful.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After my days in Katoomba, the guide took us back to Sydney. On the way they took us to this local park where Kangaroo run free. It was amazing to be so close to them!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh yeah. And you know how we have a variety of small birds and pigeons in our parks and such? Well, they have cockatoos. Which was frightenly odd.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After that we were taught how to throw a boomerang. What can I say, I was a natural, I even bought a REAL boomerang which proudly sits on my shelf.

Once back in Sydney I might one of the most amazing people in my life. She'll probably kill me for showing this photo simply because she hates how she looks in it. But I don't care. :-)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Lisa and I toured Sydney for a couple days together. We checked out the local zoos, went to museums, and even did some shopping (yup those Aussies are quite fashionable!).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Its amazing how you can connect so well with someone on the other side of the world. Now if I can only get her to bring her lazy bum here to America to visit!

The great thing about meeting people from other countries is the amount of things you can learn from them. In this trip, my first time outside the US, I finally realized that somethings as simple as holidays are different in other countries. I know thats a stupid thought, but it was the first bubble burst that I had. If you never get outside of the US, how will you ever know whats really out there. For me, it started with realizing that Australia doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving. And suddenly I had to stop and think about everyone else that is or that could be different. Social customs, government politics, religion, social taboos. Heck, even the water in the toilets flush in the opposite direction ;-)

What else did I do in Sydney? Museums, Royal Gardens, Markets, cafes, Sydney Opera House... Hmm, oh yes, I went and saw this guy play the digereedoo(spelling?). It was quite impressive to hear.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My last stop in Australia (before I headed off to New Zealand) was Cairns. Thats pronounced C-A-N-S. You don't want to know how many Aussies corrected me. I decided I would spend a week getting certifide for scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef. Where else? Unfortunately I was in a wet suit in the ocean or a pool my entire time there, so my camera never made it out of the hostel. Nor did I get to see much of the town. Classes ran from early morning to late in the evening (as did the trips out to the reef). But I don't regret it one bit. I am now a certifide scuba diver and my license says Cairns, Australia. Beat that!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There's a lot that I just sort of skipped over to save time. I never made it to the outback. I'm a bit upset about that. But I didn't realize that Australia is the size of the US. So getting around wasn't as easy as I planned. Oh wait, thats right, I didn't have a plan. I was just going day to day! It was still a wonderful trip!

Minnien says:
Posted on: Nov 25, 2007
kiwiasli says:
Nice pictures! When I went to Australia I just stayed in Sydney and didn't really had the time to travel and see the outback.I also regret it!
I like you're attitude to life.
Posted on: Nov 04, 2007