Yes, Amanda starts planning early...

Phoenix Travel Blog

While I've been to New York many times, they were always for very short trips - even as short as an evening in and out.  So this is a great chance for me to spend 8 full days there, and get to relax and wander the city.  There are so many things I want to see and do, restaurants and bars I want to try, the list goes on and on.  Some of the main sites for me are in Central Park, since I've only ever gotten to go thru a VERY small corner on the North side, ever.

Things I want to see in Central Park -

1. Alice in Wonderland Statue
  2. Bethesda Fountain
  3. Strawberry Fields
  4. Tavern on the Green (not to eat there, just to walk past it)
  5. Zoo

There is also some architecture I would like to see, especially the Flatiron Building, which I've always loved, and even have a large black and white print of up in my bathroom at home - but have never been in person!  I'd also like to see the arch in Washington Square.

I'd like to go see the view of the New York Skyline from Top of the Rock, on top of Rockefeller Center; and I already have my ticket for 3:00 Monday Jan. 21st, purchased.   Yes, I am a dork.  But the more I pay for now, the more I can spend on other things when I get there.

Areas of the city I want to see -

1. Chelsea
  2. Soho
  3. Meat Packing District
  4. Chinatown

Things I want to do -

1. Mani/Pedi on my birthday with Andi, we're looking at Rescue Beauty Lounge
  2. Afternoon tea w/scones?  I love this English tradition, not the full on big deal, but just good tea with scones and clotted cream.  There is nothing better when it's cold out I think.  Anyone have a good place?

The following are restaurants or bars I'd like to go to - I'm not saying I'll get to them all, but they are on my radar!  These came from either searching the web, fellow Travbuddies, or fellow CS'ers.

1. Moto in Brooklyn  - this advice came from CS'er Dahlia.  I hope she'll go with me there, although she'll be QUITE pregnant at that point!
  2. The Chocolate Room in Brooklyn - found this place from just surfing the web.  Looks fun, gets great reviews, and I thought it might be fun for the birthday night.
  3. Pongsri Thai Restaurant in Manhattan - I LOVE THAI FOOD!!  This hole in the wall is supposed to be fantastic.
  4. The Bridge Cafe in Manhattan, under the Brooklyn Bridge for Sunday Brunch.
  5. Find the entrance to the "Lower East Side Toy Company".... it's actually a hidden bar called "The Back Room", but there are no signs or markings for it - so you have to look down an alley to the old door that names the toy company it seems?
  6. Pegu Club in Manhattan, for the largest ice cubes and little droppers :-)  Apparently this place gives you "Cocktail Condiments"; a little set of eye droppers that hold each of the juices and bitters from your drink - so you can adjust to taste!
  7. Good Enough to Eat in Manhattan for yummy breakfast.  I heard they serve pumpkin french toast, which is the main reason I'm interested; although I don't see it on the menu...
  8. Rare Bar & Grill, for an M&M Burger  - Thanks Julie!!  Your review totally sold me, I want to go here!
  9. Barney Greengrass, for the most expensive breakfast of my life; but if it's good enough to be my hero Tony Bourdain's regular place, it has to be worth it - right?
  10. Pho Viet Huong, a Chinatown must do - supposed to be the best Vietnamese food in the city.
  11. Jeremy's Ale House, just on the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge, dirt cheap and supposed to have the best fish and chips, and Yuengling in big 32 oz. styrofoam cups.

What am I missing?

yheleen says:
great planning there ")
Posted on: Jun 16, 2008
sunsetrosebud says:
What is an M&M burger? looks like you will not starve with so many places to go to.
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008
Amanda says:
Ha Ha! I love the Today show, but I'm not a big fan of seeing MYSELF on tv - even behind a sign for half a second! :-) Maybe I can find a sign big enough to cover all of me? Hmmm....
Posted on: Oct 29, 2007