The zoo

Madrid Travel Blog

Today was a pretty laid back day.  I tried to sleep in late but that was difficult because there are 10 of us in the room.  The air conditioning machine was making a crazy noise which made things that much more difficult.  Finally I decided it was time to get up since I was almost the last one up.  A quick shower and I strolled around the area around the hostel until I found a chinese place for lunch.  From there I caught the metro to the zoo.  I spent a few hours there and enjoyed it.  The visitors there did't seem scared of the animals at all and, despite warning signs, walked a lot closer then they probably should have.  One lady even let her child try and feed the ostrich.  If you've ever been close to an ostrich you know that that is dangerous.  I was a bit suprised.

From there I tried to see the Royal Palace and the neighboring church but they were closed today.  The guide book I have said that the royal family doesn't live in the palace in Madrid anyway, they just use it for official functions.

I went to the movies tonight and saw Superman Returns.  They have a lot of theaters, I found out, that have movies listed as VO (Version Original) where they will play the original soundtrack and put subtitles in Spanish.  The one thing I wasn't expecting was that they actually assign the seat you sit in, like they would in a play.  I was a bit suprised but the theater was only half full anyway so it didn't matter.  While I was a little disapointed in the movie, the experience was great.

After the movie I went to the hostal bar and drank a few beers. I met some people from Scotland and some others from Canada.  The Canadians started to ask the Scot's about their political situation...specifically if Scotland was a country or a stateprovince.  The Scots were adamant that they were a country, but the Canadians pointed out that the Scot's use a UK passport, vote for the UK Prime Minister, and are represented in the UK parliment so that makes them more of a state.  The Scots, at this point very offended, insisted that they were a country.  I found this whole exchange a bit humerous and it's obviously a sore spot for the scots.

Madrid Sights & Attractions review
This zoo is big and open.  It costs about 16€ for an adult all day ticket.  As I began walking I instantly got the feeling that they had&n… read entire review
Madrid