And then I defended the realm...

Warwick Travel Blog

Warwick Castle
After my brush with cliff-diving and stone throwing, I went medieval on England.  I mean, full castle experience like no other.

Imagine the Renaissance Festival in Jonesboro, GA (sorry if you've never been...actually, not sorry, it's not that great), except with a real castle, seemingly real peasants/knights, and cool English accents.  Thus, you've created Warwick Castle.  Part interactive, part scary, part freakin' cool, part strange, wholly enjoyable.  Wax mannequins dotted one exhibit...at least I think they were wax.  The precision with which some of the figures were made was remarkable.  I swore allegiance to the king, helped the maid dry her clothes, assisted a peasant put up a ladder, and got scared out of my mind by the guard outside the last room.
Peacock
  All in all, the exhibit gave a good view back into medieval times.  All I know is, back in the Middle Ages, it reeked.  Literally, it smelled awful.

They had a trebuchet demonstration of launching a 15 kilogram ball...which was quite impressive.  We never saw it land, so I would say it's prett ydestructive.  the birds of prey show could have turned out deadly for the spectators.  Put a bit of food on your head or nose and the bald eagle and vulture would have clawed your face off.  I guess getting brushed by their wing tips as they swooped overhead was quite enough, though.  (Is it just me, or is every bald eagle you see named Baldy???)

Then there were peacocks.  Very, very tame peacocks.  Tamer than the squirrel's at GT's campus, these beautiful creatures treated us like we didn't even exist.
I swear allegiance, my lord
  They walked about, squawking in the shrillest, funkiest tone you've ever heard.  Though, beautiful as the feathers were, they have to be a burden for these animals.  They walked about like the feathers were a horrible nuisance.  I would suspect so, especially since they were about 2-2 1/2 times longer than their bodies.  Whatever, God made them that way for a reason...

Warwick Castle was definitely worth the 12.95 pounds, but not worth all the People to People Ambassador POS's that were running about.  About 3/4 of the people there were these P2P's....the other fourth consisting of Asian tourists of course!!  It's one thing to travel a country and be enthused about what you're seeing and enjoying your time in a foreign land.  It's another thing to be disrespectful, in the way, and TOO American!  The organization of P2P needs to re-work how and who they select.
Defending the realm
..because some of these kids were definitely undeserving...as bad as that may sound.

After the castle, we headed up to Birmingham to say hey...because that's about all we did.  Arriving without the faintest clue as to what to see or do, we walked about a mile around the center of the city....then headed back to the train.  Nothing to impressive, nothing to flashy.  Just your 2nd largest city in the UK.  No biggie...no attractions...it's cool.  It's another city I've visited, nothing more (sorry if you're from there, no offense meant).

The day was a medieval success and victory for the king.  I'm pooped and don't know if tomorrow is going to happen or not.  It's the World Cup final and that's something I do not want to miss.  Goodnight.
Trebuchet
Trebuchet
Wax arm wrestling...who will win?
Wax arm wrestling...who will win?
Warwick