But I am le tired...

Paris Travel Blog

This place is amazing.  Our hotel is top notch, and the city itself is great.  I've accepted the fact that I'll only be seeing certain advertisements a few more times, but that's cool   ;p        We've seen it all.  The Louvre (at day and night), Musee Carnavalet, D'Orsay, Musee Cognac-Jay (huge disappointment), Notre Dame Cathedral, Sacre-Coeur, La Defense, Eiffel Tower, Church Saint Sulpice, the catacombs (best thing ever), and more!

I'd have to say my favorite was the Louvre...simply because I felt connected to it.  Going in on a Wednesday, I was able to come back after the group tour was done and stay until late hours closing at 9:30...which I most definitely did.  Never have I seen such a collection of art.  I thought the D'Orsay and Kunsthaus were cool...and they were....but this blows them out of the water.  I was there for 6 hours and just barely saw everything that had open (which didn't include the Winged Bull or Hammurabi's Code  :(  ).  The greatest part was I was there by myself.  I was able to appreciate these great works of art on my own time.  Mona Lisa, Raft of the Medusa, Oath of the Horatii, Venus de Milo, Winged Victory, Seated Scribe, Pilgrimage to Cythera, The Wedding Feast, etc.  There are seriously too many to remember.  I left at 10 feeling so connected with art and this wonderful museum.

I really like the transportation in Paris.  Definitely the best we've used so far...but also the funniest.  Our subways have tires on them...supposedly to reduce the bumpiness of the trip?  How thoughtful of the French...who knew?

Among other exciting things include not getting to go up to the Arc de Triomphe one day because of two crazy protestors.  They were demanding to see Russia and Chinese ambassadors for some reason...wonder if that ever went through.  But, I did get to go to the top...and that was interesting.  It's funny seeing 7 or 8 roads come at you from every side.  Even more interesting to watch the traffic down below.  Spill a bag of marbles and you've created Paris traffic.  Like Florence, this city didn't really believe in lane distinction, so it was reallly funny to watch people's reactions to such crazy maneuvers from certain Parisians.

Today was my favorite.  We head to Versailles in a few minutes, so that might be pretty cool....but I've had one of the best days of my life.  My camera and I have become best friends...and it got its use today.  I started out early and went to the Louvre around 8 in the morning.  I found 9 Arago medallions indicating the rose line, so I had my 15 minutes of Robert Langdon pretty early.  I headed up to La Defense and was astonished by all the modern architecture I saw.  But I really liked the new arch...even the view from the top.  Heading back to the well-known parts of Paris, I felt important among all the suits in the subway.  But wait...I had a backpack and screamed American tourist.  Oh well....one day.  I wouldn't mind working in another country...I really do need to learn another language.  I made my way to the island on the Seine and saw Saint Chappelle and Notre Dame (again), then headed over to Les Invalides.  Napoleon's tomb was huge!!!  the entire building was devoted to him....I really didn't take it seriously when we walked in the building and it made that reference in its name.  Saw his sabres and guns from the Battle at the Pyramids...that was really cool.

Had to make one last stop before Versailles and that was in the form of Sacre-Coeur.  You know me...so you know I went to the top.  And what a view it was!!!   I think Paris has the best city views of any.  The Funicular greeted me with some more of those dumbass necklace makers.  They were relentless.  I kid you now when I say that you couldn't pass them without them stopping you.  Quite ridiculous.

This was the first time I've felt independent/on my own in the longest time since we've been on the trip.  And it felt great...I felt...grown up?  Like part of the city...a Parisian citizen himself.  I knew where I was going, what I wanted to do, and NOBODY else did!  That was the best part!  Oh, how amazing it was.

Versailles can't top today...I don't care how beautiful it is.  Eiffel Tower trek later tonight...can't wait!  That might be the best view of all.  :)
photo by: Sweetski