Road to Bukhara

Bukhara Travel Blog

Amu-Darya

Once again, I hit the road. My next destination was Bukhara --- an Islamic holy city on the Silk Road. The distance between Khiva and Bukhara is considerable. I would recommend hiring a car or even taking a plane when travelling between these two cities. Of course, taking a minibus or a long-distance bus would be cheaper (somewhere between US$10 and US$5 as of Octover, 2007). But given the road quality, it would not make a comfortable journey, especially if you are carrying a lot of things with you.

The road to Bukhara meanders through some harsh landscapes --- endless tracks of dry deserts, stretching beyond the horizon. Apart from that, the road crosses the Amu Darya, the longest river in Central Asia, and passes through occasional bazaars and a number of cotton-growing villages.

A380
Gradually, as one approaches Bukhara, the green becomes thicker and thicker. More signs of civilisation start to appear, and voila! You are in Bukhara. I could not help but imagine what a relief it must have been to reach Bukhara in ancient times, after making a trecherous journey through deserts.

By the time I reached Bukhara, it was about 5:00 pm and getting dark. The journey from Khiva took a little over 6 hours. It was late for sight-seeing. From what little I saw, Bukhara seemed like an old trading town. Its roofed markets and tall minarets connected by narrow alleys reminded me of the tales from "the Arabian Nights." I even encountered some Arab tourists. Apparently, they come to Bukhara for eagle hunting.

Later that night, I met up with the family of my Uzbek friend who resides in Japan. They treated me a gorgeous dinner: plov! The food in Uzbekistan is not bad at all!

Desert
Desert
Bukhara Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A380, the highway that connects Khiva and Bukhara, runs parallel to the Amu Darya. Perhaps, it is due to this proximity to the river that there are a … read entire review
Bukhara Hotels & Accommodations review
Some local people seem to have grudges against this establsihment, as it is owned by President Karimov's daughter... For tourists, though, there is… read entire review
Bukhara