Peleliu

Palau Travel Blog

Rest in Peace

Peleliu (or Beliliou) is an island in the island nation of Palau. Peleliu forms, along with two small islands to its northeast, one of the sixteen states of Palau. It is located northeast of Angaur and southwest of Koror.
Peleliu has a total area of 13 km² (5 mi²) As of 2004, its population was about 700, making it the third most populous state of Palau. Most of the island's population lives in the village of Kloulklubed on the northern coast.

This is the capital of Peleliu.

The island was the site of the Battle of Peleliu in World War II.

Canon
Peleliu is a memorial site for both WWII US and Japanese troops. Many Marines died on the beaches and in the caves of Peleliu. Many of the military installations of the era, such as the airstrip, are still intact, and shipwrecks from the battle remain visible underwater just off the coast. A US Navy ship USS Peleliu is named for the battle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peleliu)

One time, I visited this place and spent my weekend in Peleliu with The Nortons, The Johnsons, Fonzie, Nelson, Harvey and bunch of student missionaries that came from different parts of the world. It took us an hour boat ride from Koror and do not ask how fun it was on the trip!

It was a blessing being there. I made new friends, got to see new places, the ruins of WWII and enjoyed the nature.

On Saturday afternoon we went to Orange Bay and I got a chance to take some good pictures of the monuments and the beach nearby. Then, we went to Bloody Nose Ridge for caving. That was scary and fun at the same time. In the cave there are hundreds of bats and they were flying on top of us.

We found hundreds bottle of beers in the cave from WWII. Government of Palau preserved it as a WWII ruins and we could not take it out as a souvenir J We could have taken it and sold it for $50 per bottle, but there might be a big consequences if we were caught!

After sun down, when the rest of the group went out for fishing, I went bike riding and I enjoyed it very much myself. I felt so relaxed. I didn’t go for fishing because I got sea sick easily
J

Sunday morning in Peleliu was so enjoyable. We went to Ngermelt. It's a swimming hole and it was 10-foot dive into the hole. All of us enjoyed jumping and exploring the underwater cave. With a google and flashlight some of us dove. Every minute we went up to the surface to breath some air. The underwater cave was scary but it really challenged my gut to explore it. I had the greatest time in the world! It was fun and exciting!

tj1777 says:
I can't get over the fact that 700 makes it the 3rd most populus state. 700 is more like one building complex or something like that ;)
Posted on: Jan 25, 2008
Ngermelt Hole
Ngermelt Hole
With the coolest SM in Palau!
With the coolest SM in Palau!