Go Dive!!

Palau Travel Blog

Diving is great!!

I joined a diving class to become a certified diver, and today we’re going out on our first underwater class. There are just two of us in class. My classmate is Robert, owns The Taj; a famous Indian restaurant in Palau. So after our breakfast at the Taj, Robert and I left for M-dock to meet Keith (Our Diving Instructor) and Yuka (Keith’s partner). From there we took a boat and headed to Ngermeaus Island. The ride was very windy with high waves breaking on the boat; I was pretty wet by the time we reached Ngermeaus.

At Ngermeaus, Keith gave us a few instructions and taught us how to prepare our diving equipments (BCD, Air Tank, Regulator, Inflator, Octopus and Pressure Gauge). Once we were acquainted with our equipment we geared up and got into the water.

Starfish!

Keith continued giving us a few more instructions about basic diving skills. Our first exercise was to dive about 15ft; we got to see tiny Frogfish, Goby, Pipefish and Pipe horse. Time went by so fast that we were ready for lunch already, and guess what Robert had lunch all prepared for us.

After lunch we were eager to get back in the water, Keith gave us some more instructions. This time it was on how to get help from your buddy when your air is running out. The thought of running out of air really caught me. I must admit that I was scared and nervous but I tried to stay calm and I did pretty well. We did a little exercise on trying to get some help, wow I was good. (I guess I’m a good actress……….)
We surfaced to get warmed up and after a while dove again. This time we dove about 50ft. We got to see Sharks, Spiny Devil Fish, Baby Barracuda’s, Baby Sweet Lips and Flounders. It was really exciting and before we knew it, it was time to head out.

Although I wasn't expecting to go on a real dive today, we did. Keith was satisfied with our performance. He was proud that we were brave, productive and had a good comfort level underwater. I honestly had mixed feeling while I was underwater, but I’m happy to have enjoyed God’s creation. Though it’s just a start, it’s an awesome experience. I know I’m going have a lot more fun exploring Palau’s underworld.

tj1777 says:
Did you dive first to 15 feet and then afterwards to 50 feet on the same day? sound really strange and not a very good thing for a instructor to be teaching his students ?
Posted on: Jan 25, 2008